Thursday, May 29, 2014

Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Frame Repair

(1st in a series of 3)

Before last weekend, I was the proud owner of a carbon 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. Since last weekend, I have been the proud owner of a cracked carbon 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.


Since paying people to do things is expensive (in the short-term....perhaps wiser in the long-term), I'm going down the DIY road. I figured I might as well blog it, so that those other fools who follow in my footsteps might have a little more light on their path.

My Stumpjumper suffered a broken chain stay while riding it 'normally'. I didn't crash it, or smash it on my way through a rock garden. One moment I was riding fine, the next moment I had weird tire-rub and noise behind me. It's worth noting that the crack is only on the inside, top, and bottom faces of the rectangular chain stay 'tube'...there is no problem with the outside wall of it. It's also worth pointing out that the crack appears to have occurred in the exact same location where Specialized has a seam between two parts in their triple monocoque construction:
My chain stay broke right at their seam. Hmmm...coincidence? I don't think so.
I am aware that there are several professional carbon fiber repair service options in the area (apparently Matt Appleman offers top-notch service), which may be the right choice for some people, but this blog is intended for armatures who want to DIY (trusting our lives with our own shoddy repair jobs, no doubt!)

So, getting started.... Here is a general outline of the process that I anticipate. I will try to blog about each step along the way. I don't want to duplicate the vast amounts of instructional information and videos out there that already cover the basic process for carbon fiber repair. But just for posterity, here is the basic process:

  1. Take a deep breath, make a plan, and gather supplies! 
  2. Prep the surface by sanding. Get down through the top coats to the actual cloth; go deep enough in the damaged area remove damaged threads; prep an area at least 2" beyond the damage on all sides 
  3. Prep materials and "layup schedule". Determine wight, weave, sequence, & number of carbon fiber layers, and stack with peel-ply, breather cloth, and vacuum bagging materials (if vacuum bagging). 
  4. Apply layup, vacuum or tape, & allow to cure; ensure no wrinkling, bubbles, etc. 
  5. Remove peel-ply and work on sanding smooth transition to unaltered frame. 
  6. Finish. Apply UV protective clear coat(s), work down to a fine wet-sand, polish, apply final coats &/or paint.
I have already completed step #2 above, and the "gather supplies" part of step #1 is proving to be pretty difficult, without breaking the bank.




For next blog post click here!





43 comments:

  1. This is really very helpful information you have been shared about carbon bike frame. Thanks for sharing this informational blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I read your blog and I found it very informative. I was in a search for more carbon fiber bicycle frame and your blog is very helpful. Thank you for sharing this information. keep doing and keep updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up..carbon bike frame

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Information! I personally really appreciate your article. This is a great website. I will make sure that I stop back again!.carbon fiber bike frame

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post to read and now more detail about it.
    Designer Prom Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog very helpful for me.
    it's very nice,
    carbon fiber products

    ReplyDelete

  7. Very nice Information sharing with us. I really appreciated for your blog.

    web developer austin
    austin web design

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great platform to share Mountain Bike Rentals. I really like biking in mountain. Thanks for amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have cracked walls, leaning walls, sunken floors, rising damp or sinking house foundations that need underpinning click through to find out more about our home repair solutions."/>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.
    Character Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.

    Plaxsys web design agency

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    affordable website design

    ReplyDelete
  14. A blog must be connected to the person in need. It is really important to understand the actual feel of such necessity and the essence of objective behind it. Author must give proper time to understand every topic before writing it.
    เขียนคอนเทนท์

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always replied to this blog post and its been a long time since I came into knowledge of this blog. One of my friend’s suggestion worked for me and I am still regular to read every post of this blog.
    สมองเสื่อม

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about This topic. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.
    IBM TS2250 Tape Drive Model H5S

    ReplyDelete
  17. Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here .
    โปรโมชั่น Booking.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great write-up, I am a big believer in commenting on blogs to inform the blog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world wide web!..
    best-electric-mountain-bikes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks zx10r carbon fiber

    ReplyDelete

  20. Thanks a lot for posting, seriously found out quite a lot right here. I really appreciate.

    Advertising Agency Austin
    Logo Design Austin

    ReplyDelete
  21. mountain biking is my passion i want to know Preventive Maintenance Checklist for Yamaha mountain bike if you have please shear

    ReplyDelete

  22. It Is a wonderful informations. I have so many doubts but after reading your blog informations now i'm very clear.

    pool repair service austin
    Best swimming pool service in austin

    ReplyDelete

  23. Good job..Thanks for sharing the useful information.

    Roll Up Banners
    PVC Banners

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mountain biking is an extremely mainstream brave game. A trail blazing bicycle is an essential piece of gear for individuals that are into this gutsy game. Mountain biking is additionally an excellent method for driving and there is a wide scope of bicycles to browse. Sale Mountain Bikes

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for posting such a useful blog. Keep sharing such informative posts.
    Mobile Point Of Sale Software In USA

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. Discount Mountain bikes

    ReplyDelete
  27. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. how to set pressure tank

    ReplyDelete
  28. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. SUB ZERO APPLIANCE REPAIR & SERVICE IN SANTA BARBARA

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Maid Service

    ReplyDelete
  30. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Thank you for your clear information. best dog crate for anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us. how to brush golden retriever hair

    ReplyDelete
  32. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. warn handheld winch

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. Pintura fachadas

    ReplyDelete
  35. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. מערכת גילוי אש טלפייר

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. roofer Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  37. If your window needs replacement or repair, because it is chipped or broken,window repair and replacement San Jose then look for a professional company and don’t try to repair it yourself. Go for a good company of window repair and replacement in San Jose offering these services at affordable rates

    ReplyDelete
  38. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... singapore renovation

    ReplyDelete
  39. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. ReviewedPAPA

    ReplyDelete
  40. (they feature one bed on top and the bottom is a desk area and storage area). These types of beds are ingenious, really! triple bunk bed

    ReplyDelete